Fungal Skin Infections
- Fungal Skin InfectionsFungal infections of the skin are very common and include athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, and yeast infections.
- RingwormWorms don’t cause ringworm. Rather, this superficial skin infection, also known as tinea, is caused by fungi called dermatophytes.
- Athlete’s FootAthlete’s foot is a common fungal infection and you don’t have to be an athlete to get it. This annoying ailment occurs in boys, girls, men, and women of all ages.
- Candidiasis (Yeast Infection)Candidiasis is an infection caused by a group of yeast. There are more than 20 species of Candida, the most common being Candida albicans. These fungi live on all surfaces of our bodies.
- SporotrichosisThis fungus is related more closely to the mold on stale bread or the yeast used to brew beer than to bacteria that usually cause infections. The mold is found on rose thorns, hay, sphagnum moss, twigs, and soil. Therefore, the infection is more common among gardeners who work with roses, moss, hay, and soil.
- Fungal Nail InfectionsA fungal nail infection occurs when a fungus attacks a fingernail, a toenail, or the skin under the nail, called the nail bed.
You may also like...